Wednesday 6 February 2008

Karen Recommends.....Roller Disco!


“Who’s crazy legs McGee over there by the bar?” I heard some stranger in spandex ask. And even though it was myself who looked like I actually belonged in this decade (i.e. no legwarmers, no luminous clothing), unfortunately the joke was on me.
I was in Billie Rocks, a fantastically different nightclub…..on wheels.And as someone who has always had a love/hate relationship with that force we call balance, my movement round the club was sketchy to say the least.

After picking up my skates (which closely resembled the Fisher Price “My First Skates” I got for Christmas back when I was 4) I hopped with my wheels to the bar as if the ground was on fire. Awkward would be an understatement.
Not only could I not walk in them, I sure couldn’t glide in them either. In slow motion it seemed, making it to the bar, I held on for dear life in an attempt to avoid falling on my ass. Mission: Failed.

As tragic as this picture sounds, something was happening amongst my face simultaneously. I think they call it a smile. How refreshing it really was to find somewhere that provides an alternative to generic nights out into town.

It might just me myself on this one, but many cities are missing places such as these. Somewhere that anyone can go to try something different. Where anyone can have a laugh and not be judged, even if you are on your rear about to be ran over.
I would certainly recommend it.


Words of Warning. If you feel like going to the roller-disco anytime soon…

1) Don’t drink before hand. (Tequila shots, and blurry vision tends not to go hand-in-hand with a task that requires stability.)
2) Take someone who will hold your hand. If you fall down, you can take them down with you!
3) Do not go, in the expectation that you may pull. In a normal nightclub, hey, maybe you’ll get lucky. But at the roller disco, everyone’s a bit edgy.
4) Pack your sense of humour before leaving the house. No-one wants a cry baby in the club.
5) Have fun! If you take it too seriously, you’ll become the joke of the pro’s. Give it a go. Give it a giggle. And when you’ve mastered it, perhaps you could show me sometime.


No comments: